The game’s lawmakers have rejected a trial proposal to implement a temporary concussion substitution for the 2023/24 season. The International Football Association Board (IFAB) convened on Wednesday. IFAB rejects 2023-24 Premier League temporary concussion substitution trial is news of the day! Read out complete details down below.
IFAB rejects 2023-24 Premier League temporary concussion substitution trial
It was at Wembley Stadium to consider the feasibility of a trial following a request by Fifpro. The World Leagues Forum to test the protocol in the Premier League, Ligue 1 and Major League Soccer. The Football Association’s chief executive, Mark Bullingham, was initially in favour of the trial’s implementation, but has now stated that no agreement could be reached.
“There were very strong and very different views in the room, and we didn’t reach a consensus,” he said. “We agreed that it would remain under active review.”
However, Bullingham conceded there was no chance of a trial in the next Premier League, Ligue 1 or MLS season. The focus, he said, was on improving the effective implementation of the permanent concussion substitute protocol.
When asked whether the Premier League trial could still happen next season or had been pushed further away, he said: “It’s been pushed further away.
“I tabled it a year ago, I tabled it again today. There are different points of view and they all have merit. I’m probably not the best person to give you both sides of the argument, but there won’t be IFAB support for a trial right now.”