Arsenal vs Man City: Premier League title race

Arsenal’s 2-2 draw at Liverpool on Sunday appears to have opened the door for reigning champions Manchester City in what is turning out to be a dramatic title race. While the Gunners, who are chasing their first title since 2004, now lead City by six points, Pep Guardiola’s team has a game in hand and will host Mikel Arteta’s team on April 26 in what could be the decisive match.

Arsenal vs Man City: Premier League title race

City has a higher goal difference than Arsenal (48 to 43), which could be a factor. While Arsenal has only eight games left, City is still in contention for the FA Cup and the Champions League and could have a busy schedule between now and the end of the season.

Gracenote, a data company owned by Nielsen, has predicted that City has a 56% chance of winning the title, while Arsenal only has a 44% chance. Arsenal’s last Premier League victory over City was in December 2015, and before that, in January 2015. Both teams have faced each other twice this season, with City coming out on top both times. Arsenal, however, may have precedent on their side.

After 30 games in the Premier League (when adjusted to 3 points for a win), 13 teams have had 73 points or more only twice (Manchester United in 2011-12 and Liverpool in 2018-19) have not gone on to win the title. Unfortunately for Arsenal fans, City came out on top both times.

Remaining fixtures
Arsenal Man City
Bayern Munich (h – Champions League QF) 11 April
Leicester (h) 15 April
West Ham (a) 16 April
Bayern Munich (a – Champions League QF) 19 April
Southampton (h) 21 April
Sheffield United (FA Cup semi-final) 22 April
Man City (a) 26 April Arsenal (h) 26 April
Chelsea (h) 29 April
Fulham (a) 30 April
West Ham (h) 3 May
Newcastle (a) 7 May Leeds (h) 7 May
Brighton (h) 14 May
Potential CL semi-final 9/10 May
Everton (a) 14 May
Potential CL semi-final 16/17 May
Nottingham Forest (a) 20 May Chelsea (h) 20 May
Wolves (h) 28 May Brentford (a) 28 May
Brighton (a) TBC because of FA Cup participation
Potential FA Cup final 3 June
Potential CL final 10 June


Arsenal vs. Man City: Premier League title race

Recent Articles

Related Stories

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here